The profession of being a cosmetic chemist is a highly reputed one, capable of providing you with the big bucks. This job requires you to perform multiple tasks inside and outside the lab, thus offering diverse avenues for work and employment. Besides the paycheck and the reputation, the prime highlight of being a cosmetic chemist is its fascinating nature. It is a lucrative job, complete in all the senses, which attracts people from all across the globe. Read with us to know the steps involved in becoming a cosmetic chemist in India.
What Is the Role of a Cosmetic Chemist?
A cosmetic chemist, also referred to as a cosmetic scientist, performs the job of a formulator. Primarily, it involves strategically using and mixing various raw materials for making cosmetic products such as nail polish, lipstick, lotion, shampoo, etc. Additionally, in this job role, you must also think of ideas for new chemical products, test the cosmetic prototypes, evaluate ready products, and gain expertise in identifying a good product.
Cosmetic chemists can work in various workspaces – with cosmetic manufacturing firms, testing houses, raw material manufacturers, contract manufacturers, etc. After gaining experience, you can also open up a formulating consulting business. The multiple options available make it a fascinating job anyone can fit in.
If you’ve decided to become a cosmetic chemist already, here is a guide to reaching your destination.
A Step-by-Step Guide for Becoming a Cosmetic Chemist in India
1. Complete a Science Degree
Many people practice and learn online to become cosmetic chemists. However, the best approach is to get a science degree first. The commonly chosen degrees include bachelors in chemical engineering, chemistry, microbiology, or biology. Some physics majors also pursue this profession, which is not an obstacle either.
2. Get an Advanced Degree
Even though there are job opportunities available after graduation, large companies like P&G and L’Oréal prefer candidates who have completed a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in chemistry or chemical engineering. The most integral learning part is the on-job training, but an advanced degree helps you get a good start. Further, there are some advanced degree diplomas related to this profession, which will prove beneficial.
3. Gather Information About the Cosmetic Industry
While completing degrees in chemistry and chemical engineering is essential, researching the industry can help immensely. Multiple international organizations and groups allow students to attend their conferences and events for additional knowledge. Further, you can use LinkedIn to connect with people in the industry to build a network and get placed in a good firm faster.
4. Determine Your Most-Desired Job Role
Furthermore, you can choose from multiple careers in the beauty industry after training as a cosmetic chemist, like:
- Cosmetic formulator: The prime function of this job is to assemble raw materials to create finished products. It is most suitable for people with inventive and creative caliber.
- Quality control chemist: The job of the quality control chemist is to ensure that the raw materials and finished goods follow the best quality standards. It is best suited for people desiring to work with Mass Spec, GC, and IR.
- Analytical roles: This job involves research. All chemical suppliers have an analytical department to create standards for comparing the quality of the product and raw material, ideal for those with a research bent of mind.
- Process engineering: This job role is most suited for people from a chemical engineering background. Process engineers help companies design their manufacturing facilities and execute the production from the lab to the production scale.
- Sales: Raw material companies hire sales professionals to pitch their products to different formulators. It is the most suitable job role for people interested in negotiations and those with a flair for interpersonal communication.
You can pick up any role from these profiles that excites you and matches your skill set. It is also possible to change your job roles later if you want to experiment.
5. Work Towards Getting Placed
To get a cosmetic chemist job, you must make up a resume in the final year of your education and start looking for job openings. Like with all other jobs, creating a profile on LinkedIn would make the job hunting and networking processes more efficient.
6. Get a Temporary Cosmetic Chemist Role in a Lab
Another route to a permanent cosmetic chemist job is temporary positions. Large companies tend to hire individuals who have already worked with them as temporary workers. Besides the job possibility, it will be an excellent learning opportunity in the field you want to go ahead in.
7. Network With Other Cosmetic Chemists
It is crucial to build connections to proceed well in any industry. Hence, try bonding with other cosmetic chemists around you or following the Indian Society of Cosmetic Chemists to know about everyday challenges. By networking with other like-minded people in the industry, you stand a better chance at improvising and upgrading your job profile.
These are the fundamental steps you can take towards becoming a cosmetic chemist in India. Even though it is not the most traditional way to get through the process, it is among the most effective. Besides, this profession opens up multiple avenues to land well-paying jobs in the industry. The cosmetic chemist salary in India averages around INR 6.08 lakh per year. Depending on your circumstances and choices, you can also digress a little or take these steps in a different order.
However, if you’re confused about your career path and need professional guidance, contact us at Mindler, an ed-tech firm that offers career counseling services to school and college students. Using stream assessment, stream report, detailed career report, career assessment, and one-on-one personal career counseling, we help individuals like you choose the best career path for themselves.
To get started, you can look up beautician courses that can help you gain expertise in this field and understand the cosmetic industry better. You can also look up careers in the beauty industry available today to get a detailed insight into the prospects.
Avail career counseling online with Mindler and bid farewell to all your career troubles!