Imagine a profession where your key responsibilities are to make people look flawless and enigmatic by applying glistening makeup. Beauticians are professionals who specialize in understanding various skin types, makeup applications, hair styling, and hair colouring. They have expertise in recommending different beauty treatments such as therapies for skin and hair care, facials, manicure, foot reflexology, hair removal, microblading, etc.
Gone are the days, when makeup was only meant for special events and occasions. In the age of social media, where every look counts as a statement, the demand for skilled beauticians continues to soar. Nowadays, makeup has become a primary glamour solution for both men and women; be it for a photo shoot or a job interview, everyone wants to look their best! If makeup and styling come naturally to you, pursuing a beautician course will help you develop expertise about different skincare therapies, hairstyles, beauty products, and the latest makeup trends.
Anyone can undergo the training of a beautician after completing high school. There are a number of academies that offer diploma and advanced courses:
Institutes offering Beautician Courses:
|1||Jd Institute Of Fashion Technology||Diploma in Makeup and Hairstyle Artistry||6 weeks|
|2||VLCC Institute of Beauty & Nutrition||Professional Diploma in Makeup||361 hours|
|3||Lakme Make up Academy||Basic/Advanced/ Short term Courses in Makeup||2 months|
|4||Pearl Academy||Fashion Media Makeup||11 months|
|5||Jawed Habib Hair and Beauty||Basic/Advanced/ Crash Courses in Makeup||1 week- 24 weeks|
|6||Aashmeen Munjal’s Star Hair & Makeup Academy||Basic/Advance/Professional Courses in Makeup||1 week- 7 months|
|7||Meenakshi Dutt Makeovers Academy||Private Pro / Personal Makeup Course||5 days – 1. 5 months|
|8.||The Shahnaz Husain Academy||Diploma/ Certificate and Advance Make up Course||1 week- 7 months|
|9.||Daniel Bauer Academy, Mumbai/ Bangalore/ Delhi||Makeup Artist Courses||250 plus hours training|
|10.||Hair Masters Luxury Salon, multiple locations in Delhi||Self/ Basic/ Advanced Makeup Course||3 months-1 year|
|11.||Shweta Gaur Makeup Academy||Self/ Basic/ Advanced Makeup Course||1 week- 1 month|
|12.||Parul Garg Makeup Academy||Self/ Basic/ Advanced Makeup Course||1 week- 1 month|
|13.||Atul Chauhan Makeovers||Self/ Basic/ Advanced Makeup Course||1 week- 1 month|
|14.||Pooja Khurana Makeovers||Pro Makeup Course||12 days pro makeup course|
|16.||Amrit Kaur Artistry||Pro Makeup Courses||1 day- 7 days|
|17.||Meera Sakshrani||Master class||1 day- 7 days|
|18.||Loreal Beauty Academy||Diploma/ Certificate/ long term/ Masters Courses||3 months- 6 months|
Beauticians can explore a plethora of diverse professional domains:
1) Makeup Artist: Makeup artists are professionals who possess great artistic skills which they use to enhance the physical attributes of clients. They radically change the appearance of clients according to the occasion or setting (e.g. science fiction movies). They specialize in a range of makeup styles; for example, bridal makeup, makeup for models/actors, corporate makeup, etc.
2) Cosmetologist: Cosmetologists are experts who provide treatments and services to help your skin be flawless and healthy. They can be found performing multiple procedures such as pedicures, manicures, facials, etc.
3) Hair Stylist: Hairstylists are involved in a different range of services focused on providing the perfect look. They specialise in services related to hair, for example, haircutting, hair colouring, blow-drying, and styling. With great experience, they can also perform hair treatments like keratin, smoothening, hair-spas, etc.
4) Masseuse/Masseur: A masseuse/masseur are adept at providing massages. They are experts who relieve pain, reduce stress, facilitate increased relaxation, and aid in general wellbeing.
5) Tattoo Artist: A tattoo artist is a professional who creates permanent images or words on the skin by using a small needle to inject ink under the surface of the skin. A tattoo artist’s canvas is the human body. A tattoo provides a permanent identity and is in vogue all around the world. The demand for proficient tattoo artists is certainly on the rise.
The Pros and Cons of the makeup industry:
- It is a flexible job; you can work according to your own schedule.
- It is a buzzing industry and makeup services are always in demand.
- It is not a monotonous task. You get to create new looks depending on the client’s requirement.
- You get the opportunity to learn simultaneously about new products and practices.
- You communicate with clients from varied backgrounds, and this allows you to build a strong network.
- During occasions and wedding seasons, the demand for beauty services increases and you might have a lot of workload during such times.
- This is a highly competitive field.
- It is a demanding, risky, and exhausting work profile. You have to be extremely careful while administering chemicals on clients’ faces and bodies. If anything goes wrong, you could be held responsible for the damage.
The role of a beautician is very cross-sectional. You need to be careful about the following:
1) Multitasking: Beauticians should be able to perform multiple tasks at the same time; they should have the ability to work with several customers simultaneously and give attention to every customer equally.
2) Good communication skills: It is important to provide a welcoming environment for your clients. You should be able to explain to clients the procedures in detail so that they feel confident in availing your services.
3) Ability to sell: A beautician must have the ability to guide their customers to the best and latest products in the market.
4) Fitness: A beautician needs to develop strong physical stamina. This line of work requires professionals to stand at uncomfortable angles for long periods of time as they perform their beauty treatments.
There is no doubt about the fact that the work of a beautician is in great demand in India and overseas. In order for you to grow and excel in this domain, you should keep updating yourself with new technologies and products. The saying “practice makes the man perfect” holds very true for this industry. Moreover, numerous beauticians work as freelancers. Furthermore, beauticians must be gregarious and passionate professionals as they interact with varying clienteles throughout their careers.