Wondering how to become an Event Manager? If yes, then you have arrived on the right page!
Events are an integral part of human life. Whether it is a birthday, social gatherings, weddings, or events on the professional level, no one can bypass them as they touch almost all the aspects of our social existence. All of us have been a part of these events from time to time. Either we organise these events or participate there. But did you know, there officially exists a professional career in this?
Yes, and if you think you have a flair to organise such events and get the things done on time without buckling the pressure, then event management is the best career option for you. In this blog, we have covered various aspects that will answer all your questions about becoming an event manager what opportunities it has to offer you.
What is Event Management?
Event management is an application of project management like planning, organising(right from the venue to budget), strategising, monitoring, providing innovative service, coordinating, entertainment planning logistics, executing the plans, coordinating, and maintaining the vendor relationships). Therefore, event management understands the client’s requirements/objectives, designs experience, and provides it in a structured way to the target audience. Hence, an Event Manager is a person who will prepare a framework for an event.
How to become an Event Manager?
When it comes to a question – how to become an event manager, there are a few skills that you need to possess. Some of these tips are as follows:
- Organisational skills
- Negotiation skills
- Being Flexible
- Public Relations
- Marketing/networking skills
- Great Communicator
- People management
If you want to plan a career in event management, then you can’t miss out on this Virtual Internship Program in Event Management by Mindler Immrse.
Future growth and opportunities
Event management as a career is growing exponentially. This is because as it has more to do with creating experiences combining technology with your innovative ideas. As you know, that technology has completely changed. Thus, the world of event management has also changed, and people are using drones, Live streaming the events, facial recognition (Scan guests to avoid potential threats, especially for VIP events).
As per an EY-EEMA (Event and Entertainment Management Association) report, India’s events and activations industry is expected to cross Rs. 10,000 crore mark by 2020-21. In addition to this, the industry, which was at Rs 5,631 crore in 2016-17 overall, has been growing at a 16% CAGR. Not only this, it is even overtaking the Indian media and entertainment (M&E) industry is growing at 11-13%.
Changes in event management
Unlike earlier, event management is undergoing a lot of changes. A wedding is no longer just a process of rituals planned by house members; it comprises many events where people are looking for a grandeur wedding and hiring wedding planners. Similarly, birthdays have transformed as grand events with various activities, specialised themes and gifts, planning surprise events, and so on. Besides, corporates organise events as a marketing strategy that requires an effective planning. Hence, when it comes to organising an event, it is necessary to strategise and plan it effectively as it is one of the ways to get a good reputation and goodwill.
Scope in Event Management
However, the event management industry is still new, and the event managers’ need is to remain high for a long time. The scope in the Event Management field is growing at a faster pace. Therefore, there is a need for the experts as people are looking for professionals in this domain who are authentic, creating unique/modern themes to stand out, and provide interactive experiences. As an Event Manager, you can either start your venture, work for an agency, or seek in-house employment at a company. To get deeper insights into this career, you can take up online career counselling at Mindler. Our career counselling process is easy and effective.
Various designations in Event Management
When it comes to a career in Event Management, one can apply for various designations mentioned below:
- Entrepreneur (Independent business)
- Public relation officer
- Event Production head
- Brand Development
- Event Manager
- Event Organiser
- Promotion & Marketing
- Corporate Event Planner
Event Management is a vast field that allows you to explore various areas. But, if you are not sure how to become an event manager, make sure that you pick the one that excites and interests you.
Education qualification to build a career in Event Management
If you are wondering how to become an event manager, then there are various paths that you can follow. These paths include:
- You need to pass the 12th standard in any stream from a recognised board.
- You can pursue graduation in Event management courses.
- Pursue graduation in any discipline and then pursue a Masters in Event Management like MBA or Postgraduate diploma in event management.
Top colleges to pursue a career in Event Management
There are several colleges that offer various courses in Event Management. Below is the list of these colleges.
1. National Academy of Event Management and Development (NAEMD), Multiple Locations
The National Academy of Event Management and Development offers various courses and programs. If you are not sure how to become an event manager, you can take up any of the following courses:
- Bachelor’s of Management Studies- Event Management and PR (BMS- EM & PR)
- Masters in Event Management and PR(MEM)
- PG Diploma in Event Management & PR (PGDEM)
- PG Diploma in Aspects of Media, Marketing & Events (PGDAME)
2. National Institute of Event Management(NIEM), Multiple locations
The National Institute of Event Management offers various programs to make your career in Event Management. These courses include:
- Diploma in Event(DE)
- Post Graduation Diploma In events (PGDE)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Advertising, Media & Event (PGDAME)
3. Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) – North Delhi Campus
The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade is one of the leading colleges in India that offers various courses to build a career in Event Management:
- Diploma in Event Design & Management (1year)
- PG Diploma in Event Design & Management (1year)
- 3 Months Certificate programs in Event Design & Management
- 6 Months Certificate programs in Event Design & Management
4. EMDI Institute of Media and Communication, New Delhi
If you wish to become an Event Manager, the EMDI Institute of Media and Communication in New Delhi offers various Event Management courses. These courses include:
- Diploma in Wedding Planning
- Diploma in Event Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Event management
- BBA in Event Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Event Management & Experiential Marketing (PGDEMEM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Event Management & Experiential Marketing- Global (PGDEMEM)
5. Indian School of Media(ISM), Mumbai
It offers the following courses:
- Post Graduate diploma in media and event management (PGDM)
- Diploma in media and event management (DEM)
6. Impact Institute of Event Management (IIEM), New Delhi
The Impact Institute of Event Management offers the following courses for students to make a career in Event Management:
- Diploma in Event Management
- BBA in Event Management
- MBA in Event Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Event Management
7. Asian Academy of Film and Television (AAFT), Noida
The Asian Academy of Film and Television (AAFT) offers the following courses for Event Management:
- BA in Event Management
- MA in Public Relations & Events + PG Diploma in Public Relations & Events
- Diploma/PG Diploma in Event Management
8. Amity School of Communication
If you want to build your career in the field of Event Management, you can also seek admission to the Amity School of Communication. This institute offers MA in PR and Event Management courses for students to pursue Event Management.
9. Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication
This institute offers Post Graduate Diploma in Corporate Communication & Event Management.
Event management is becoming more popular with globalisation. Besides, the opportunities have rapidly increased as occasions have become part of our life. Hence, the opportunities for event managers have also increased. Individuals are looking for an external source to organise their events for various reasons, like holding up with a tight schedule, unique planning, etc. Hence, if you are creative and talented, you would have a great career in the event management field.
If you are still unsure or need more clarity related to this field, get in touch with Career Coaches at Mindler. Our expert career coaches provide career couselling online to help you make your career in the desired areas.