“What Career Path should I choose?”
“Should I go for Commerce or Humanities?”
“I am already 28; is it the right time for me to switch jobs?”
These are some questions that cause a lot of confusion in each and everyone’s lives. Choosing a suitable career is very critical but one of the most difficult decisions of our lives. To make matters worse, this responsibility of choosing a path for your life is borne by us in our childhood right from the time we are asked to select a subject stream. While Quadratic Equations and Trigonometry are to be dealt with, on one hand, the pressure of taking decisions that lay the foundation of our careers adds to the stress and anxiety among parents and students. This decision, in most cases in our country, is based on parental pressure, hearsay steps taken by friends, or inspired by movies (not that this is inappropriate, the decision needs to be practical and suited to you!).
Making a career choice based on the immediate information or based on the experience and guidance of elders might seem like the right option at some point. However, to make a decision as important as this, one should understand that Career Choice is a discovery process that is time-taking and requires the individual to explore various options methodically to see where one’s interests and potential lies.
For instance, in a family of doctors, the natural choice for the student would be to prepare for NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test). The student might also be scoring well in Science subjects in high school, but it is quite possible that in the long-term, the student may be more interested in other-related aspects of the medical field, such as Psychology, Life Sciences, Allied Medicine, etc. To avoid such pitfalls driven by short-term indicators such as “good marks in school examinations” or “family lineage”, it is important to assess the long-term fitment of the student in a particular career through robust testing mechanisms, research, and expert-advice.
Benefits of Career Counselling
No one is born all-knowledgeable and each one of us requires guidance at some point in our life, at personal and professional levels. It makes us more aware, allows to learn from others’ experiences, and helps us make a well-informed decision.
In the case of making career choices, Career Counselling is one way that can provide the student with constructive guidance and be helpful in multiple ways:
- Decide The Right Career
Career Counselling can help you explore a range of careers and evaluate all options in a structured way so you know what you are getting into. Counsellors are experts at assessing your personality, interests, and other aspects of you.
- Helps Provide Expert Resources
Career Counselling provides access to a rich repository of the resources and knowledge that makes you more aware so your decisions are not driven by gut or hearsay. This knowledge of Careers, their scope, and ways to pursue them are important to parents and students since most of the time they do not have that kind of knowledge.
- Helps Change Unwanted Behaviour Patterns
Students and professionals have habits that are hard to break, such as procrastinating, not keeping updated on the latest developments in their chosen career paths, neglecting emotional and mental health, not trying to self-motivate, etc. A Career Counsellor helps break such behavioural patterns that lead to unproductive activities, both at home and in school/college/work.
- Helps Remove Career-Related Frustration
Choosing a career can be a demanding task for both parents and children. A lack of any source of venting out emotions and thoughts may add to the existing frustration. Career Counselling provides a platform where such frustrations can be reduced, and focus is redirected to selecting the best career options.
- Provides A Role-Model
Career Counselling helps students connect to experts who have enough life experiences to share. They are role models who have accomplished and helped people in their life. This is why Career Counselling can serve as an inspiration to students looking to find their way in this world.
- Helps Bring Stability in Thought
Career Counsellors can help you remain calm when it comes to taking a career decision. Counselling helps bring about focus, and maintain that focus throughout our activities. Through proper scheduling and planning, they try and make your life more organized.
Our Career Counselling process to address your career confusions
At Mindler, we have perfected a detailed and in-depth 4 step-process in delivering career counselling to students. This process has been developed by experienced psychometricians and is guided by expert counsellors available at your support round the year.
- Assessment: The first step in this process is a Psychometric Assessment that aims to analyse your interests, personality, aptitude, work-style, and socio-emotional quotient. The objective of this assessment is to assess you comprehensively such that careers most suited to you can be recommended. The assessment also contains personalised development plans to help you improve. Our advanced assessment, developed through extensive research by India’s leading psychometricians, is highly accurate in that at one of the leading schools in India, over 97% of the students who took the test chose one of the top-5 careers recommended by Mindler.
- Test results: The outcome of the assessment is a 34-page test report that is generated instantly once you submit the test. Based on your test responses, the machine considers your work style, incentives and motivations, academics, and makes career recommendations in line with your career aspirations and interests. At the end of the report, the top 5 careers most suited to you are present – the subsequent discussions and planning build on these 5 options only. Apart from this, the test results contain expert analysis across all of the 56 parameters and a development plan for each.
You can view a sample report here.
- Consultation: The third step in the process involves consultation with our expert counsellors. A career expert, like a doctor, helps you understand your report and clarify doubts should you have any, discusses why those 5 career matches were generated and help prioritize among them from an execution point of view. The counsellor also understands your career aspirations, financial and geographical constraints, and them helps you to develop a structured path for your career by developing a Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C. Then, the expert prescribes further action on what you need to do and how to do it.
- Action Plan and Resources: Once the decision is finalised with respect to the 2 or 3 career fields chosen (Plan A and Plan B), the final step is about building a strategic action plan so you can achieve your short-term goals to excel in that career. For instance, if you are in Class 12 and have decided to pursue Design as Plan A, the Counsellor will chart out the list of colleges, courses, fees structure, entrance examinations and their dates, and preparation strategies to get an admission in a top college of your choice.
Pursuing a specific career choice involves various steps that help you succeed and Mindler provides you with a plethora of resources to achieve your goals. The objective of this is to provide you end-to-end support so you can go from the point of “I am confused about what to do next” to “I want to pursue Course A in College B”.
- The Action Plan is a document that the career counsellor prepares for you, customizing it to your requirements. This document describes the courses that you would have discussed in the counselling session, the colleges you can apply to, and how you can prepare for those colleges/courses.
- Career Library: This tool helps you to know more about different careers, the kind of job roles in those careers, the pros and cons of pursuing them.
- Roadmap: This is Mindler’s proprietary tool that helps you view all the colleges in a particular course, shortlist them, and get information about the application process and examinations required.
- Exam Corner: This tool can help you to check various entrance examinations in the country, their syllabi, and deadlines. Once you shortlist an exam in your exam corner, we email you information about the application forms so that you are alert and don’t miss the deadline.
- Scholarship: The scholarship tool allows you to find various scholarships that are applicable to the course/college of your choice.
Thus, Mindler provides a 360-degree solution to your career problems. We help you right from discovering yourself to finding the career option most suited to you along with the action plan to achieve your goals. All this is done through scientific and systematic testing and guidance from career experts at each step of the process.
Our exclusive and intensive 4-step process to career counselling is your guide to making a career choice that suits your aptitude and liking the best. Our guided experts and professionals help you make a decision that is in sync with your interest and your capabilities. Book an appointment today to take the first step to make the right career decision.