Selecting the right stream is one of the most important decisions of your student life, as your career is dependent upon it. Selecting the wrong stream can make you ineligible for your dream career.
Are you confused, and thinking whether you have selected the right stream or not? Through the course of this article, we will first explore some signs of choosing the wrong stream, how you can check if you are studying the right subjects and not. Then we will move on to some steps to rectify your mistake by exploring various career streams which you may consider.
Signs You are Stuck in the Wrong Stream
The majority of students find it difficult to understand whether they have selected the right stream or not. Here are few hints and signs, which can warn you regarding the wrong stream selection. All these points work in conjunction and thus are generally found together.
1- Lack of Concentration/Sleeping During Class: You have attended multiple classes, trying to understand things, but every time you try to focus your mind becomes blank. You feel sleepy, and checking the watch after every 5 minutes is your favourite past time. If this is the situation, you are studying something which you have no interest in. This could be a possible alarm of changing your stream.
2- Dipping Scores/Lagging Behind: You have always been a good scorer, but suddenly your scores are taking a hit. You are giving your 100%, but still, nothing is working out. It might be that your best-fit subjects are not the ones you are studying right now.
3- Books are No Longer Your Best Friends: You have stopped spending time with your previous best friends – your books. You don’t even feel like opening the books and making that extra effort. You are dedicated, and a bright student, but you are having a hard time in managing studies.
4- Bunking Classes: The number of classes you attend now is less as compared to the previous year. You love bunking classes, as it allows you to avoid the boring torturous class. Bunking has become a kind of an escape, and you have started enjoying it. You don’t regret missing your lectures, and you have even stopped making extra effort to collect the notes.
Hence, if you are not able to concentrate in class, subjects seem boring, you are not able to score even after putting efforts, then you might be trapped in the wrong stream. You should be very careful with the fact that there can be certain issues in your personal life which are disturbing you. The signs provided here are just an indication that something is wrong.
Recommended Read: How To Avoid Peer Influence While Choosing Your Career
Getting Back on Track After Selecting the Wrong Stream
Now, there are definitely ways to get out of a wrong stream decision. Let’s find out what they are!
What if you have taken Science?
Are Physics, Chemistry and Biology nothing less than a nightmare for you? Even if you have studied science subjects in your class 11th & 12th, but do not wish to do so anymore, don’t worry! After your class 12th boards, you can switch to any field you wish- Commerce or Humanities. The first thing you should do is search for alternative courses, and gain as much as information as possible on them. You have already made a mistake while selecting the stream once, you can’t afford to make the same mistake twice.
What if you have taken Commerce?
If Business Studies is boring, numbers make you feel lost, and you have no interest in understanding the concepts of balance sheets & company accounts, you are stuck in the world of commerce. Don’t worry, an escape is possible. First, there are various courses, such as BBA, CA, CFA, etc. which will allow you to skip hardcore mathematics in commerce. And if you want to leave this completely, a switch is always possible.
What If you have taken Humanities?
You cannot switch to any other field, but you may not even know about various career options available in humanities. You might be hating it due to the boring History, Civics, and Geography. But there is a lot more in the stream. We will explore other options in the upcoming sections.
How to Change your Stream After Class 12th
It would be a wise choice to read in detail the eligibility, and about various course choices which are available in the market. Now, if you believe that you have made the wrong choices, find below the routes to change it to the correct stream.
If you Wish to Change Your Stream to Commerce
The most popular commerce courses in undergraduation are BBA, B.Com, BBE, etc. There are also some professional courses which you can pursue along with graduation, such as Chartered Accountancy (CA), Company Secretary (CS), CFA, etc. Science students are eligible for all commerce related courses, as some of the courses will require mathematics as eligibility criteria. B.Com (Hons) in a majority of the colleges will require Mathematics. BBA (also termed as BMS) in Delhi University, Narsee Monjee will require mathematics. On the other hand, other top colleges/Universities such as IP University, Christ University, IIM- Indore, Symbiosis University etc. do not require mathematics. The admission to the various courses is either through entrance exam or merit. In the entrance exams your logical reasoning, numerical aptitude, vocabulary, English comprehension, etc. are evaluated.
Some Top Colleges for Commerce Courses
1. Bachelor’s of Business Administration: Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, IIM- Indore, Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, IP University, Symbiosis International University, St. Xavier’s Mumbai and Kolkata, HR College (Mumbai University), etc.
2. Bachelor’s of Commerce: Colleges / Institutes: Lady Shri Ram College(LSR), Delhi University, Hansraj College, Delhi University, Loyola College, University of Madras, St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai, Madras Christian College, University of Madras, St. Joseph’s Commerce College, Bangalore, Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai, Mount Carmel College, Bangalore, St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
If you Wish to Change Your Stream to Humanities
According to the latest trends, the scope in humanities careers is immense and is continuously growing. Humanities or Arts include more than just the traditional History, Geography or Political Science. The latest careers include Mass Communication, Psychology, Hotel Management, Culinary Arts, Baking, etc. The best part of humanities courses is that you can pursue them with any stream combination in 11th & 12th.
Some Top Colleges for Humanities Courses
1. Mass Communication & Journalism: IP College for Women (New Delhi), St. Xavier’s College (Mumbai), IP University (New Delhi), Christ University (Bangalore), Symbiosis Institute of Media and Studies (Pune), etc.
2. Psychology: Delhi University, Ambedkar University, Jamia Milia Islamia., Panjab University, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, etc. 3- Hotel Management:
Colleges/Universities Institute of Hotel Management (Various Locations), The Oberoi Centre for Learning & Development (New Delhi), Ecole Hoteliere Lavasa (Maharashtra), Welcome Group Graduate School of Hotel Management
3. Graphic Design: Asian Academy of Film and Television, Picasso Animation College, MAAC, Reliance AIMS, TGC Animation and Multimedia, WLCI, etc.
4. Hotel Management: Institute of Hotel Management, The Oberoi Centre for Learning & Development, Ecole Hoteliere Lavasa, Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Management, etc.
5. Languages: Jawaharlal Nehru University (French/ German/ Spanish), St Stephen’s, DU (Diploma in French/ Spanish/ German/ Japanese/Chinese/ Italian), Banaras Hindu University (Chinese/ Russian) – University of Mumbai (French), University of Calcutta (Diplomas in Arabic/ Chinese/ French/ German/ Spanish/ Tibetan/ Urdu), etc.
6. Anthropology: Hansraj College, Hindu College (Delhi University), Viswa Bharati University, West Bengal, University of Allahabad, etc.
There are multiple of career options available, it is just important to understand which would be the best fit for you. It is always possible to switch your field, but is important to take a decision only after you have gained sufficient information. And if you are late now, you can always switch!
If you too have had a stream changing experience, or are currently undergoing the effects of a wrong stream, we would love to hear from you. Please share your experiences or queries with us in the comments below!