Yoga has been a natural healing agent for thousands of people all around the world. Learning yoga has now become a necessity for many people. The recent data suggest that more than 350 million people practice Yoga regularly. It has also been estimated that 1 million more people may join Yoga in the coming years. Hence, not surprisingly, the yoga industry has become one of the leading sectors in India and abroad. And a career in Yoga can be one of the highest-paying jobs in today’s world. Interestingly, you don’t need to launch a startup to start earning from Yoga.
Below is a list of all jobs you can pursue after getting certified through a yoga course.
1. Yoga Teacher: A yoga teacher comes under the category of a senior position. Once you acquire an instructor position, you can become an experienced and professional yoga teacher.
2. Yoga Instructor: Yoga instructors aim to instruct all yoga asanas and positions to their students.
3. Hybrid Yoga Instructor: A hybrid yoga instructor combines yoga asanas with other activities like teaching Aqva yoga, dance, aerobics, Zumba, and much more.
4. Yoga Presenter: It is one of the most trending jobs because of YouTube, workshops, and television. In this job, professionals have to showcase their yoga skills to people.
How Can You Become a Yoga Professional and Start a Career in Yoga?
You need to fulfil certain criteria to become a yoga professional. There are several courses on Yoga as well that you can pursue and gain more knowledge. Some standard eligibility criteria to become a yoga professional and start a fruitful career in it are:
- A person must have passed the class 12th examination. It is the first step of being eligible for courses in Yoga and starting a career in Yoga and meditation.
- If you want to pursue a master’s specialisation in Yoga, you should have a bachelor’s degree but not necessarily in Yoga.
- A person should be physically and mentally fit to pursue Yoga and make a career in it.
- Any person interested in making a career in Yoga must be at least 15-17 years of age.
Types of Courses that a Person can Pursue to Start a Career in Yoga:
There are various courses available for a person to become certified as a yoga professional. Given below is a list of some of them:
1. B.Sc. in Yoga
- It is a 3-year bachelor’s degree course.
- The course offers a deep understanding of the science of Yoga. Students learn about body anatomy and the positive impact effect of Yoga on a person’s body and mind.
- A detailed study about yogic science and its different elements is taught during these three years of academics.
- You should be a class 12th pass out for pursuing this course.
2. M.Sc. in Yoga
- It is a master’s degree course.
- A person must have a bachelor’s degree for pursuing an M.Sc. in Yoga.
- Students learn various subjects such as Anatomy, Yoga Therapy, Upanishads, Physiology, Vedas, and Health. They also learn about ancient texts such as Bhagavad Gita, Yoga Sutra.
3. Diploma in Yoga
- It is a short-term course for people who wish to pursue a career in Yoga.
- People interested should complete their schooling to pursue this course.
- You can learn Yogic Science, therapy, naturopathy, Mental Health, and more through the diploma courses.
4. Certificate Course in Yoga
- It’s a short-term certification course for a career in Yoga.
- There are 200-hours, 300-hours, and 500-hours courses.
- These are part-time TTC (Teacher Training Courses) programs.
- Students are taught the fundamentals of Yoga.
- The certification is given through an accredited body to establish a career in yoga therapy.
5. Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga Science
- It is generally a 1-year program for a career in Yoga and naturopathy.
- A person must hold a bachelor’s degree to pursue this course.
6. BA in Yoga
- A Bachelors of Arts is also a wise choice to start a career in Yoga.
- A person should complete proper schooling for pursuing a BA in Yoga.
- A person will get detailed knowledge about Ayurveda and aspects of Yoga.
Major Yoga Accreditation Bodies
1. Yoga Certification Board (YCB)
- Founded in the year 2018.
- It aims to promote Yoga and promote holistic health, and human values.
- This body is responsible for setting standards and parameters for yoga professionals.
- It also certifies the yoga professionals.
2. Yoga Alliance
- This body aims to produce and promote consistent behaviour in yogic practices all around the world.
- It aims to keep a record of RYT (Registered Yoga Teachers).
- There are RYT 2000 as well as RYT 500. It signifies the count of hours a yoga teacher has to perform under his/her training.
- After getting trained from a registered school, a person gains the ability for the final test of the certification under Yoga Alliance.
- The Ministry of AYUSH is a government-oriented umbrella body. It aims to promote ancient Indian science of life.
- AYUSH stands for Ayurveda Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homoeopathy.
- The Ministry of AYUSH is responsible for regulating various Yoga colleges in India.
Exams for Career In Yoga
- The ministry of AYUSH has started a certified QCI exam for yoga professionals.
- The exam is mainly for those who wish to have a certification by the QCI department (Quality Control of India).
- The QCI exam has two levels.
- Level one refers to the instructor exam.
- Level two is a teacher exam
- You can even apply for some government jobs with a good QCI score.
Colleges for Career In Yoga:
Given below is a list of top colleges for yoga professionals:
- Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana
- Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya
- Bihar School of Yoga
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga
- Bhartiya Vidya Bhawan
- Kaivalyadhama Yoga Institute, Pune
Opportunities for Yoga professionals
The average government yoga teacher salary in India is between 10k to 25k per month. In abroad, the salary package in this field is higher. As a reputed instructor in this field and with a master’s or PhD degree, a person can earn up to 1 lakh per month. You can even establish a career in Yoga abroad.
There is a need for around 3.5 lakh yoga professionals and instructors in our country. This shows that there are ample opportunities if you are thinking of starting a career in Yoga. Job opportunities include working in yoga centres, spas, housing colonies, yoga institutes, private clubs, and as personal trainers. Depending on your experience, skills, location, you can earn handsomely with this career opportunity. It is one of the best career options if you couldn’t qualify NEET.